Easy Homemade Pineapple BBQ Sauce Recipe
Homemade BBQ sauce is a must-have condiment for any cookout but it's also great to have around when the cooler months arrive and you're using your instant pot and slow cooker more often.
This recipe for pineapple BBQ sauce is super easy to make and only requires a few ingredients, including pineapple juice. The result is a delicious pineapple barbecue sauce that is the perfect combination of a sweet and tangy sauce with just a hint of spice (more like a whisper!).
This pairs perfectly with grilled chicken breasts,
*This post may contain affiliate links and I’ll earn a commission if you shop through them. You can read my full disclosure here.
- pineapple juice - I used the juice from a can and then used the pineapple rings to make Air Fryer Pineapple - so tasty!
- brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- cornstarch and water for thickening
See recipe card for quantities.
This is an overview of the instructions. The full recipe and instructions as well as nutritional information can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Combine ketchup with the pineapple juice.....
Worcestershire sauce and honey in a medium sized pot - stir well.
Add brown sugar, honey, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and add cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce.
Hint: don't allow sauce to come to a rolling boil at any point as this may cause the texture to become gummy.
- Spicy - add cayenne pepper (start with ⅛ teaspoon and then add more to your liking) or ½ teaspoon hot sauce. Start with a small amount because a little goes a long way and you can always add more.
See my Dr. Pepper Barbecue Sauce here.
A good pot with a heavy bottom like this one, measuring cups, a wire whisk, and a glass storage jar.
Store this homemade sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator, preferably a glass jar or mason jars with a lid, and use within 2 weeks.
This homemade barbecue sauce can be made ahead of time to allow the flavors to mingle!
If you love this recipe please give it a 5 star rating. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Pineapple BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup pineapple juice unsweetened
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs honey
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon water
- Combine ketchup and pineapple juice in a medium saucepan over medium low heat.1 cup pineapple juice, 1 cup ketchup
- Add Worcestershire sauce and honey and stir once again.2 tbs Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbs honey
- Add brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk until full blended and cook at a low simmer for 5 minutes.½ cup brown sugar, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Remove from heat.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water and whisk slowly into the sauce.2 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoon water
- Return saucepan to medium high heat and stir continuously until the sauce JUST starts to boil but do NOT allow the sauce to come to a rolling boil.
As with any of my recipes, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly depending on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish.
- 🍴Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- 🧼 Wash hands after touching raw meat
- 🧊Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- 🍲Never leave
- 🌋Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- 💨Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.