Crockpot Hot Dogs and Sauerkraut
Are you looking for a delicious hot dogs and sauerkraut recipe that can be made in a crockpot? If so, then this easy slow cooker recipe is perfect for you! All you need is a few simple ingredients and you'll have a tasty meal ready to eat with little effort.
*This post may contain affiliate links and I’ll earn a commission if you shop through them. You can read my full disclosure here.
This classic combination is one of those great main dishes that's ideal for lazy Sundays or any day when you don't want to spend all day in the kitchen. Plus, it's budget-friendly and easy to customize. So let's get
If you're looking for more crockpot recipes, this bean soup with sausage recipe is another great option.
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
- Easy meal without a lot of ingredients.
- It's the perfect meal for a busy day.
- Can be made ahead and served the next day.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- hot dogs
- drained sauerkraut
- brown sugar (use this quick tip to soften brown sugar if you need it!)
- medium onion
- medium granny smith apples
- hot dog buns *optional
See recipe card for quantities.
This is an overview of the instructions. Full instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Drain sauerkraut and place in the bottom of your crock pot.
Sprinkle with brown sugar and water and mix gently.
Add diced apple and chopped onion.
Top sauerkraut mixture with hot dogs.
Cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours. Serve!
Hint: Use a good sauerkraut from the grocery store or homemade sauerkraut (with caraway seeds) for this simple recipe.
- Sliced sausage, slices of Polish sausage, or Kielbasa sausage - instead of hot dogs.
- Turkey hot dogs - for low fat recipes.
- Apple Sauce - instead of apples.
- Baby potatoes or Red potatoes - toss some in around the hot dogs before slow
cookingfor a full meal. They'll mingle with the flavors of the crock pot sauerkraut and taste absolutely delicious! Add a dash of black pepper before serving for a touch of heat.
- Hot dog bar- make this recipe with bun length hot dogs and set up a bar with all the best toppings including onions, relish, chili, and any other toppings you like.
🌭 Side Dishes
This recipe pairs well with this good old fashioned mashed potatoes recipe, baked beans and potato salad, and Cracker Barrel Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole.
Larger slow cooker and slotted spoon for serving.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Start with great hot dogs. This may cost a bit more than bargain hot dogs but it's money well spent and if you buy in bulk, you'll have enough hot dogs for a crowd (think potluck, tailgating, etc.)
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it a 5 star rating. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Slow Cooker Sauerkraut and Hot Dogs
- 2 lbs sauerkraut bag or can
- 1 lb hot dogs
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ water
- Drain sauerkraut and place in bottom of slow cooker.2 lbs sauerkraut
- Sprinkle sauerkraut with brown sugar and water and gently mix.¼ cup brown sugar, ¼ water
- Add chopped onion and apples.2 Granny Smith apples, 1 cup onion
- Top with hot dogs.1 lb hot dogs
- Cook for 4 hours on low setting.
As with any of my recipes, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly depending on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish.
👩🏻🍳 Food safety
- 🌡️ Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- 🍴Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- 🧼 Wash hands after touching raw meat
- 🧊Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- 🍲Never leave cooking food unattended
- 🌋Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.