This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Dr Pepper® and Eckrich® All opinions are mine alone. #MyGiantEagleWin
Slow cooker sausage and bean soup, aka Hoppin’ John Chowder, is easy to make and is perfect for college football homegating or tailgating. This one has an indulgent, one of a kind flavor and depth of richness because of a secret ingredient in the sauce, Dr Pepper®. Add the savory flavor of Eckrich® Smoked Sausage and you have a winner!
The right ingredient choices can take a recipe from so-so to over the top and the Dr Pepper and Eckrich Rope Sausage do just that.
Homegating for a Crowd the Easy Way
This slow cooker sausage, peppers and onions, and rice recipe is great for a crowd, serving up to 18, and because it’s made in a slow cooker, you can prep it beforehand and then just add some munchies like chips, pretzels, and dips, and chill your Dr Pepper so that everything is ready in advance allowing you to enjoy your football homegating or tailgating with friends and family.
Once I planned my menu I headed to Giant Eagle to pick up the ingredients.
I grabbed some Dr Pepper since it’s always a crowd favorite and I wanted to add it to the slow cooker sausage cassoulet and right now the cans look like mini footballs…honestly, talk about perfect for homegating!
How To Make Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Soup
4 – 15.8 ounce cans black-eyed peas, undrained
2 – 10 ounce cans diced tomatoes 1 small can green chiles, undrained
1 12 ounce can Dr Pepper
1 – 14 ounce container of beef broth
2 – 14 ounce packages of Eckrich Smoked Sausage, sliced
1/2 onion, chopped 1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 family-size package boil in bag rice, uncooked
Combine all ingredients except for the rice into slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
Cut top off of boil-in-bag rice and pour into cooker. Stir. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes.
Serve! AND, right now, Dr Pepper and Eckrich have an awesome sweepstakes going on just for football lovers and homegaters (or tailgaters) like you! For rules and entry details, click here.
- 10 Grand Prizes each consisting of: Tailgating 10×10 Tent; Portable Speakers; Folding Chairs; 5-Piece Grilling tool Set; Beverage Tubs w/ Serving Tray; Tundra 35 Yeti Cooler; Kirk Herbstreit Autographed Football; Weber Grill.
Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Soup with Rice
- 4 -15.8 ounce black eyed peas, in can undrained
- 2- 10 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces green chiles 1 small can, undrained
- 12 ounces Dr Pepper 1 can
- 14 ounces beef broth
- 2 14 ounce packages Eckrich Smoked Sausage sliced
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 14 ounces white rice uncooked, boil in bag
- Combine all ingredients except for the rice into slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Cut top off of boil-in-bag rice and pour into cooker. Stir. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes.