DIY Glitter and Polka Dot Christmas Ornaments
DIY Glitter, Gold, Polka Dot and Chalkboard Ornaments Now that's a mouthful, isn't it?
Today is Day 3 of the 31 Handmade Christmas Ornaments Blog Hop. We've already had ornaments shared by Malia at Yesterday on Tuesday and Steph from The Silly Pearl and tomorrow Jennifer, from Celebrating Everyday Life, will be up!
I wanted to share something that was easy to make but still was unique. I was shopping at Michael's and found Chalkboard ornaments so I scooped up one plain chalkboard ball and 2 clear/chalkboard mixes.
First up: DIY Glitter Ornaments
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
clear plastic or glass ornaments
- Remove the cap from the ornaments. Using a straw, funnel or other method, place the Polycrylic into the ornament aiming for the bottom. You don't need a whole lot and can always add more so it's best to start off with too little rather than too much.
- Holding the ornament upright move it around to allow the Polycrylic to thoroughly coat the area you want to be glittered. I did one ornament entirely and one about ½ of the way up.
- Do NOT allow the Polycrylic to dry but instead add the glitter as soon as possible to the inside of the ornament. For this step, I used a funnel and once the glitter was in the ornament I again moved the ornament around to cover the entire surface of the Polycrylic with glitter. When done, shake out any excess glitter.
- When dry - this is quick drying so about 1 hour - put the caps back on the ornaments.
- If you are using the chalkboard ornaments prep the chalkboard surface by covering entirely in chalk, wipe off with a dry cloth and then decorate as desired.
Second: Polka Dot Glitter Ornaments
Ornament (chalkboard surface or any ornament/glass or plastic)
- Use the pouncer to apply Mod Podge to your ornament.
- While still wet sprinkle with glitter.
A Big Thank You to Diane from An Extraordinary Day for putting this all together! We hope you'll find tons of inspiration as you follow us along for all 31 days!
Here are all 31 Bloggers in order of their appearance over the 31 Days.
Yesterday on Tuesday
The Silly Pearl
Cupcakes and Crinoline
Celebrating Everyday Life
All Things Heart and Home
Sew a Fine Seam
Creative Crochet Workshop
Shabby Art Boutique
From My Front Porch To Yours
Dukes and Duchesses
Simply Kelly Designs
Town and Country Living
One Artsy Mama
The Crafting Nook
Our Southern Home
Love of Home
Remodelando la Casa
Knick of Time
The Cottage Market
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Sum of their Stories
[inlinkz_linkup id=567718 mode=1]
These are too cute Mary Beth! I love the contrast of the chalkboard and glitter. 🙂
I love what you created, Mary Beth! Anything with glitter catches my eye. These are going to look great on your Christmas tree.
Mary Beth, these are so cute! I love the combo of the chalkboard with the gold glitter!
oh my goodness you're brilliant! I love these! GREAT idea friend xo
Love the glitter ornaments and your faux tree ornament display. So creative!
Thank you so much, Kelly!
Love it MB you are the Queen of Chalkboard & Gold!!!!
I was just chuckling when I went through my most recent posts...I seem to have a thing for chalkboard and gold LOL I may be in my dark period - who knows!!!!
How Pretty! I love sparkles!
Thank you, Kathy!
Love love this combo, Mary Beth, so cute!
super cute! Love them!
What a fun ornament! These would make great gifts!
Oh I love these, so creative and they are beautiful! Pinned
Thank you, Kristin!
All of my favorite things right here! Glitter, Polka Dots and Chalkboards! Great ideas 🙂
These are so cute and fun! Love them Mary Beth!
Thank you, Jill!
These are adorable!
Thank you so much, Angie!
These are SO cute, Mary Beth - pinned!
Love these Mary Beth!
These are so cute! The sparkly gold glitter is the perfect contrast against the black chalkboard.
Thank you so much, Carrie! Have a great week.