This is an easy recipe for a decadent and delicious lava cake. These are wonderful little cakes for parties, romantic evenings, weddings, Valentine’s Day, or any day you want a special dessert.
A few years ago lava cakes, or as the French call them ~ Moelleux au chocolat ~ were quite the trend and the first one I ever had was at a popular chain restaurant. It was topped with a scoop of delicious vanilla ice cream. It was enough to share, which I did, but I was attempted to cough on it so it could all be mine…but civility prevailed and I shared like a nice human being.
If You Can Bake a Cake from a Mix – You Can Make This
I didn’t attempt to make these then because for some reason, I thought they would be hard or beyond my abilities as a baker. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried this recipe.
I altered and tweaked the original recipe I found and am quite pleased with the results.
These would be wonderful for any romantic holiday, weddings, Valentine’s Day, or just any day you want something special and trust me when I say, they are very easy to make.
So, let’s get baking!
Easy recipe for making a decadent and delicious chocolate molten lava cake. These are the perfect dessert for a romantic dinner, weddings, Valentine's Day or any day you want something special. They're so easy to make that if you can bake a cake from a mix, you can make this!
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
Melt the chocolate with the butter in the microwave at 15-second intervals stopping to stir and continuing in 15-second intervals until fully melted.
2. Stir in the sugar until well blended.
3. Whisk in eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla.
4. Stir in the flour.
5. Cover mixture and place in the refrigerator for about an hour.
6. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
7. Grease muffin tins, custard cups, or mini bundt cake pans (that's what I used - link below).
8. Remove mixture from refrigerator and fill muffin tins (cups or mini bundt cake pans) two-thirds of the way full.
9. Bake until the centers are soft but the sides are firm approximately 10 to 13 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and gently remove from tins, you may need to use a knife to loosen the edges, and place on individual plates.
Serve warm plain, with vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream and fresh fruit.
*As a side note I have granulated sugar in the photo above the recipe with the ingredients but this should be swapped at for powdered sugar as stated in the recipe.