This creamy cucumber salad recipe is the perfect side dish and wonderful to serve at outdoor barbecues, family gatherings, and summer parties.
Sour cream cucumber salad can be on the dinner table in just minutes and you probably have all of the simple ingredients you need already on hand. It's great served with barbecue grilled Texas Flank Steak or juicy pork chops.
This post contains helpful tips, tricks, and useful information! If you're in a rush, please use the "Jump to Recipe" link at the top of this post.
*This post may contain affiliate links and I’ll earn a commission if you shop through them. You can read my full disclosure here.
👩Where I Got This Recipe
This recipe is from my Mom. She was a great cook ~ most of her recipes were simple...nothing too complicated....but always delicious! This was one of my favorites and even though I have her exact recipe, mine never tastes as good as my mom's ~ she just had a way about her!
- fresh cucumbers
- sour cream
- black pepper
- Peel crisp cucumbers and cut into thin slices.
- Salt the thin cucumbers slices and squeeze out any excess liquid. You can also salt the sliced cucumbers and place in a colander allowing the excess water to drain for about 30 minutes. It's important to not skip this step so that you don't have a watery salad. You could also cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise once peeled and gently scoop out the seeds. This little trick will lessen the overall water content of the recipe.
- Combine sour cream, sugar, vinegar, and milk blending well in a mixing bowl.
- Add cucumber slices to the creamy sour cream mixture.
- Cover and chill or serve immediately.
- Garnish with fresh dill or dried dill if desired.
If you'd like more information regarding harvesting and storing fresh cucumbers this is a wonderful article.
- Splenda, Swerve, or other sugar substitute - My mother was a diabetic and always substituted a sugar alternative and I never tasted a difference
- Milk - whole milk while provide a creamier consistency while skim milk will be more "liquidy"
- Onions - red onion, white onion, or yellow onions can all be used
- English cucumbers or garden cucumbers can be used in place of regular cucumbers
- Apple cider vinegar can be used in place of white vinegar
- Full-fat sour cream or low-fat sour cream can be used.
- Plain Greek yogurt and plain yogurt can both be used in place of tangy sour cream as they have similar textures and taste.
- Top with green onions, fresh dill, or dill weed.
- Fresh garlic or a dash of garlic powder can also be added to the dressing prior to gently stirring in the cucumber slices.
There's really no special equipment needed but if slicing isn't your favorite thing to do, a mandolin would be very helpful.
⌚Can I make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
Yes! If you won't be serving it for a day or two make the creamy dressing and refrigerate it separately from the sliced cucumber and onions in an airtight container or covered tightly with plastic wrap. About an hour or two before serving, mix everything together in a large bowl and place back in the refrigerator until your ready to eat.
Store this delicious cucumber salad in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Give it a gentle stir before serving.
If there is any leftover sour cream dressing I like to save it to serve over lettuce salads with a fresh tomato. I add a sprinkle of kosher salt and it is a heavenly treat!
More Easy Recipes and Family Favorites
- Grandma's Creamy Old Fashioned Potato Salad
- Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese
- Mom's Sweet and Sour Cabbage
- Fried Chicken without Buttermilk
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 2 fresh cucumbers large
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 2 ounces milk
- Peel the cucumber and cut into thin slices. Salt the sliced cucumber and squeeze-it is important to squeeze the cucumbers once sliced and salted to remove the extra liquid so that the salad is not watery. OR, you can cut the cucumber in half lengthwise once peeled and gently scoop out the seeds. This little trick will lessen the overall watery content of the recipe.2 fresh cucumbers
- Combine sour cream, sugar, vinegar and milk blending well in a serving bowl.4 ounces sour cream, 2 tsp. vinegar, 3 tsp. sugar, 2 ounces milk
- Add cucumber slices to the creamy dressing.
- Cover and chill prior to serving.
As with any of my recipes, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly depending on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish.