Quick and easy Beef Tamale
This recipe is almost too easy to make. The first time I served it I was a little worried but my family loved it and has asked for it again and again which makes me happy on a multitude of levels including the fact that it’s pretty much a no brainer and perfect for nights when I don’t have much time to cook dinner.
How To Make Beef Tamale
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 jar of salsa, 24 ounces
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1 12.5 ounce box of cornbread muffin mix
Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Brown ground beef in a 10 inch or 10.25 inch cast iron skillet and drain.
Stir in salsa and shredded cheese.
Prepare cornbread per the instructions on the box and spoon over the ground beef mixture.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
My favorite element of this recipe is how customizable it is and below are some of my suggestions for specific ingredients:
- Zatarain’s Honey Butter Cornbread Mix – This adds another flavor layer to the
piebut you can use any of your favorite cornbread mixes or homemade cornbread.
- Salsa – I buy a jar of mild salsa at Aldi’s and that’s what I use consistently but if you like something spicier, use your favorite salsa.
- This recipe makes 8 servings but you can cut everything in half and use a smaller box of cornbread muffin mix. The directions will remain the same.
*My husband is gluten-free. Because of this, I make a small portion for him using a gluten-free cornbread mix. It would be easy to make the entire recipe gluten-free by simply changing out the muffin mix.
Quick and easy Beef Tamale Pie is a family favorite old school casserole with a layer of beef mixed with salsa and cheese and topped with cornbread.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Salsa, 24 ounces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Cornbread Mix, 12.5 ounce box
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brown ground beef in a 10 inch or 10.25 inch cast iron skillet and drain.
- Stir in salsa and shredded cheese.
- Prepare cornbread per the instructions on the box and spoon over the ground beef mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 499Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 109mgSodium 1111mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 5gSugar 12gProtein 38g
What are some of your favorite quick and easy weeknight meals?