Quick and easy Beef Tamale
This recipe is almost too easy to make. The first time I served it I was a little worried but my family loved it and has asked for it again and again which makes me happy on a multitude of levels including the fact that it's pretty much a no brainer and perfect for nights when I don't have much time to cook dinner.
How To Make Beef Tamale
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 jar of salsa, 24 ounces
½ cup shredded cheese
1 12.5 ounce box of cornbread muffin mix
Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Brown ground beef in a 10 inch or 10.25 inch cast iron skillet and drain.
Stir in salsa and shredded cheese.
Prepare cornbread per the instructions on the box and spoon over the ground beef mixture.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
My favorite element of this recipe is how customizable it is and below are some of my suggestions for specific ingredients:
- Zatarain's Honey Butter Cornbread Mix - This adds another flavor layer to the
piebut you can use any of your favorite cornbread mixes or homemade cornbread.
- Salsa - I buy a jar of mild salsa at Aldi's and that's what I use consistently but if you like something spicier, use your favorite salsa.
- This recipe makes 8 servings but you can cut everything in half and use a smaller box of cornbread muffin mix. The directions will remain the same.
*My husband is gluten-free. Because of this, I make a small portion for him using a gluten-free cornbread mix. It would be easy to make the entire recipe gluten-free by simply changing out the muffin mix.
Easy Beef Tamale Pie
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Salsa 24 ounces
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Cornbread Mix 12.5 ounce box
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brown ground beef in a 10 inch or 10.25 inch cast iron skillet and drain.
- Stir in salsa and shredded cheese.
- Prepare cornbread per the instructions on the box and spoon over the ground beef mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
What are some of your favorite quick and easy weeknight meals?