There's something magical about the combination of chocolate and coffee. Individually, they're delicious, but when paired together, they create a flavor explosion that's hard to resist. If you're a fan of this classic duo, then you're going to love this recipe for chocolate mocha cake made with a boxed cake mix. Not only is it easy to make, but it's also incredibly tasty making it the perfect dessert for any occasion.
*This post may contain affiliate links and I’ll earn a commission if you shop through them. You can read my full disclosure here.
😋 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Perfect for pot lucks, family dinners, or entertaining.
- It's incredibly easy to make since it starts with a cake mix as its base. This means you don't have to worry about measuring out a ton of ingredients or spending hours in the kitchen. But just because it's simple doesn't mean it's not delicious.
- The addition of instant coffee gives the cake a bold coffee flavor that enhances the rich chocolate flavor and is perfectly balanced.
- The moist and fluffy texture of the cake is sure to impress anyone who tries it. Whether you're a fan of chocolate, coffee, or just cake in general, this recipe is a winner.
This is an overview of the ingredients. Full instructions and amounts can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- box of chocolate cake mix - I used devil's food from Aldi's which calls for 1 cup of water, ½ cup vegetable oil, and 3 large eggs
- granulated sugar
- boiling water
- instant coffee granules
- cream cheese
- confectioners' sugar
- Cool whip
- cocoa powder or semisweet chocolate chips
See recipe card for quantities.
This is an overview of the instructions. The full recipe and instructions as well as nutritional information can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Heat oven to 350 degrees f.
Spray bottom only of two 9-inch cake pans or one 9 x 13 inch pan with
Prepare cake batter in a large bowl following the directions on the box and pour batter into cake pans (divide batter evenly if using two cake rounds) or
Place in preheated oven following the bake time as indicated on the box testing for doneness with a cake tester.
Cool cake on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from cake pans if desired. If
In a small bowl combine boiling water, granulated sugar, and ½ tablespoon of the instant coffee granules stirring until dissolved; set aside.
Combine cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and remaining 1 ½ tablespoons of instant coffee in a mixing bowl if using a hand electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Use the paddle attachment and mix at medium speed until smooth. Gently fold in the Cool whip. Set aside one cup of the frosting to decorate the cake with for a garnish.
Brush the top of the cake with the coffee mixture using a
- Espresso Powder - can be used in place of instant coffee and will take the coffee flavor to the next level for a stronger richer flavor.
- Whipped Cream can be used in place of the Cool Whip - use half as much homemade whipped cream (1 cup vs 2 cups).
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- Cake Decorating Kit
- Cake Tester
- 13 x 9 inch baking pan
- OR Two 9 x 9 inch round cake pans
- Cake Server
If not serving immediately, place cake in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. I usually make this a day in advance and use a 9 x 13 inch pan so it's easier to store. I don't have a lid for my
If you LOVE mocha and the flavor of coffee you may also enjoy these recipes!
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card below ⬇️ you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it a 5 star rating. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Easy Mocha Cake Recipe from a Cake Mix
- 1 chocolate cake mix 1 Box
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee granules divided
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup boiling water
- 8 ounces cream cheese one package, softened
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar powdered sugar
- 8 ounces Cool whip one container
- cocoa powder for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray bottom only of pans or baking dish.
- Mix cake following the directions on the package.
- Bake following package directions. Check for doneness with a cake tester.
- Cool on wire cooling rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pans if using round cake pans or leave in baking dish if preferred.
- In small bowl combine granulated sugar, ½ tbsp. coffee granules, and boiling water.
- Brush top of cooled cake layers with mocha infusion.
- In large mixing bowl or bowl of stand mixer combine softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and remaining coffee granules on medium speed until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Set aside one cup for rosettes.
- Spread frosting over cake and decorate as desired.
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder.
As with any of my recipes, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly depending on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish.