When it comes to food, I'm all about simplicity and that's why I love this easy recipe for layered pea salad drizzled with a sweet and creamy dressing. It's simple yet so satisfying!
This salad is the perfect side dish for large gatherings, family gatherings, a baby shower, a church potluck, or a light lunch.
It's also easily customizable- feel free to add grilled chicken or hard boiled eggs to make it a complete meal. And the best part? It can be made ahead of time so all you have to do is sit back and enjoy.
So next time you're looking for something new to try, give this great salad a go. I guarantee you'll be hooked after just one bite.
🥘Ingredients for This Classic Recipe
Layered Salad Recipe Ingredients
- Romaine lettuce
- Sweet green peas
- Green onions
- Green bell peppers
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Homemade Sweet Dressing Recipe Ingredients
- White Sugar
See recipe card for quantities.
This is an overview of the instructions. Full instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Layer half of all ingredients in the bottom of a large casserole dish or glass trifle dish.
- Drizzle with sweet creamy dressing.
- Repeat layers in the same order as step 1.
- Serve immediately!
👪 Yield: 8 servings
Hint: This salad can be made in advance, covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated to serve the next day but the salad dressing should not be added to the top of the salad until ready to serve.
🍴Why You'll Love It
- This family favorite pairs perfectly with almost any main dish like this easy recipe for roasted ham or
air fryerpork chops.
- Great for gatherings and picnics
- Can be easily customized (ideas at the bottom of this post)
- Can be topped with grilled chicken for a complete meal or lunch
- Add hard cooked eggs for more protein
This salad can be customized to your own personal preference. Below are a few ideas to get you started.
- Greens- chopped lettuce or baby spinach make a great addition or alternative to the romaine lettuce
- Veggies- add your favorite vegetables or whatever you have on hand like cherry tomatoes, red onion, English cucumber, water chestnuts, Roma tomatoes, or any other veggie you would normally enjoy on your favorite salad. Fresh peas can easily be substituted for frozen sweet peas.
- Cheese- this classic recipe is traditionally made with shredded cheddar cheese but sharp cheddar, feta cheese, or blue cheese are nicely complemented by the salty bacon.
- Apple cider vinegar can be substituted for white vinegar.
- Turbinado sugar can be substituted for white sugar.
💭 Top Tip
Save time by using precooked bacon.
If you love this recipe please give it a 5 star rating. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card below ⬇️ you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
Layered Pea Salad Recipe
- 1 head Romaine lettuce washed, drained, chopped
- 12 ounces frozen sweet peas thawed
- 6 green onions chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 12 ounces bacon cooked and chopped
Sweet Creamy Dressing
- 1 ⅓ cups mayonnaise
- 7 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs white vinegar
- In a large casserole dish or trifle dish layer half of the lettuce, peas, onions, bell pepper, cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Drizzle with dressing.
- Repeat layers with remaining ingredients in the same order.
- Serve immediately!
- Place ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods