Easily make a Funfetti cake from a box mix and decorate it for Easter or any holiday with this easy cake recipe.
We're going to veer a bit from the simple recipe instructions on the box to take this sprinkle cake to the next level by giving it a bit more of a homemade cake taste and fluffy cake texture but trust me, you'll love how it turns out and it may even be your favorite cake ever!
This particular cake is decorated for Easter but you can easily make this into a Funfetti birthday cake with colorful sprinkles in any color combo that brings you joy!
This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Funfetti Cake Ingredients
- Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix
- unsalted butter
Chocolate Homemade Buttercream Ingredients
- unsalted butter
- confectioners' sugar
- cocoa powder
- whole milk
- vanilla extract
Garnish: Cadbury mini eggs // chocolate covered candy eggs
See recipe card for quantities.
This is an overview of the instructions. Full instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 13 x 9 inch pan with
(You can also use
Prepare the cake batter in a large mixing bowl using a hand mixer or stand mixer according to the directions on the box substituting buttermilk for water and butter for vegetable oil and using egg whites.
Bake until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Allow to cool completely on a wire rack in pan.
Hint: Allow the cake to cool completely to room temperature before frosting. This is important because while the cake is warm, the frosting will tug at the surface and melt into the cake.
In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed until smooth. In a separate bowl whisk together the dry ingredients, confectioners' sugar and cocoa.
Continue beating until light and fluffy!
Frost cake and decorate as desired!
This recipe can easily be changed up according to your preferences!
- Flip It - Purchase a chocolate Funfetti cake and top it with homemade white buttercream frosting
- Cupcakes - follow the directions on the box to make cupcakes instead of a sheet pan cake
- Sprinkles - Use different colored sprinkles and candies - crush or chop up your favorite candy bars and sprinkle on the top!
- Top with Toffee Buttercream Frosting for a new depth of flavor!
The following items will help you to make this recipe successfully.
- 13 x 9 inch baking pan
- Handheld Mixer - my favorite is this KitchenAid rechargeable mixer but I also use a stand mixer when I'm doing a lot of
- rubber spatula
- mixing bowls
- icing spatula
Funfetti Cake with Frosting can be stored at room temperature in a cake holder or carefully covered with plastic wrap. It will be fine for up to 4 days or so. I like to bake this cake in a Wilton Cake Pan with Lid - the lid snaps on easily and helps to keep the cake fresh.
This cake freezes well for up to 4 months when stored in an airtight container.
I like to put a pat of butter on some waxed paper and grease my pans and dust lightly with flour before
- Banana Split Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake
- Patriotic Poke Cake
- The Best Ever German Chocolate Cake
- Old Fashioned Caramel Apple Pound Cake
If you love this recipe please give it a 5 star rating. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Funfetti Cake Recipe from Box
- 1 15.5 ounce Pillsbury Funfetti white cake mix
- 1 cup whole buttermilk (check notes for options if you don't have buttermilk)
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted
- 3 egg whites
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.Spray a 13 x 9 inch pan with baking spray with flour such as Pam. You can also use cooking spray or parchment paper.For the cake, prepare the cake batter in a large mixing bowl using a hand mixer or stand mixer according to the directions on the box substituting buttermilk for water and butter for vegetable oil and using egg whites.Bake until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack in pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed until smooth. In a separate bowl whisk together dry ingredients confectioners' sugar and cocoa.Gradually add sugar mixture, milk, and vanilla to butter beating 2 to 3 minutes using a rubber spatula to scrape down sides as necessary. Spread frosting on top of cooled cake and garnish as desired with candy eggs.