Magic Reindeer Food - Poem with Free Printables
Christmas is only a few weeks away, which means it's time to get ready for the big day and one easy way to do that is with this easy magic reindeer food recipe!
It's a fun activity to do with little kids and is sure to become one of your family's favorite Christmas traditions. Small children love the idea of making a special food just for the reindeer and if you want some people reindeer food this Christmas Reindeer Chex Mix is perfect for snacking and these Hot Cocoa Ornaments are another wonderful easy Christmas craft idea (it's a great gift for teachers and neighbors!).
Most recent update: 11/01/2022 - previous update: 12/21/2016
Magical reindeer food, also called magic dust, is the perfect treat to sprinkle on the lawn Christmas Eve night to help Santa's reindeer fly on their long journey and find their way to your home.
So what is this magical food? Let's take a closer look!
In addition to this simple recipe you'll also find free printable tags and printable bag toppers, a reindeer food poem, and complete instructions for how to make a batch of reindeer food for this fun Christmas tradition.
A few years ago I came across this idea for Magic Reindeer Dust using just a few simple ingredients that I already had on hand and I have been making it every year since then.
The first time I made it was Christmas Eve afternoon before we headed to my sister's house. I made some for my two youngest sons and a bunch of my nieces and nephews. The kids were so excited to get it and I got pictures from their parents later that night showing the kids smiling from ear-to-ear while they sprinkled their glittery reindeer food on the lawn so excited that Santa and his reindeer would see it and know right where to stop and deliver their gifts...and that's just one of the reasons why this special treat so magical!
*This post may contain affiliate links and I’ll earn a commission if you shop through them. You can read my full disclosure here.
The ingredients below are enough to make 4 bags of 'food'.
- 2 cups of plain uncooked oats
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of green sugar crystals, edible glitter, or Christmas color sprinkles
- Add everything to a large bowl.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix well and then divide up evenly, approximately ½ cup, between small cellophane bags or zip-top bags.
- Print out either a reindeer food label or reindeer food tag (see options below) and staple or tape on to the top of the bags.
You can use regular scissors to cut the tags apart or a paper cutter like this one, and then a hole punch and ribbon if you would like to attach the tag to bags. My favorite bags are these but any small plastic bag will work just as well.
- This printable is for personal use only.
- There are several options available to download for free - please see the details below.
🎄Printing Your Images
- Each option is perfect for at-home printing and should be printed on standard-sized white cardstock which is heavier than regular printer paper.
- You can purchase compatible cardstock on Amazon using this link or at your favorite store.
🦌Download Your Magic Reindeer Food Printable:
- Download option one here. (print in landscape mode)
- Download option two here. (print in landscape mode)
- Download option three here. (print in landscape mode)
- Download option four here.
- Download option five here --- (print in landscape mode) this is the first option I shared back in 2009!
☃️Tips for Making Ahead
- You can make as many batches as you would like ahead of the busy Christmas season. Store in an airtight container or ziploc bag.
- Print out and prep (cut out) the printable label you want to use.
- OR assemble all of your bags in advance and store away for Christmas Eve night.
These make such a fun gift for the little ones in your life. If you're planning a holiday party before the big day, keep the assembled bags in a basket by the door and give to young guests before they leave. The cute poem has all the important details for how to use your homemade gift and everything needed is in one bag for this fun Christmas Eve tradition!
🎁Other Printables You May Enjoy
- Free Printable Christmas Money and Gift Card Holders
- Free Farm Fresh Trees and Vintage Truck Printable
- Magic Reindeer Food Tags and Gift Bag Toppers
- The Ultimate Christmas Planner
I use my HP Envy printer for all the printing I do for home décor, photo printing, and business needs. Right now you can get two (2) years of free ink delivered right to your door (that's the option I use!).
The first time I made this I used regular glitter without thinking about animals potentially eating it but now I use the edible glitter or colored sugar and that way it is safe as can be.