This is the best southern baked macaroni and cheese recipe with eggs ever!
When I was growing up my mother usually had one day a week, every week, that was her time.
On that day, my dad took care of dinner one of his favorite recipes (his to cook, mine to eat!) was southern-style macaroni and cheese.
This family recipe for homemade macaroni and cheese was in my Dad's stash of main dish easy recipes and now it's is mine as well. If serving as a main dish it pairs well with my Mom's creamy cucumber salad and if serving as an easy side dish it is delicious served with slow cooker meatloaf.
- Elbow macaroni
- Cubed cheese
- Shredded cheese
- Whole milk
- Heavy cream
- Salt and black pepper
See recipe card for quantities and full recipe.
Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
Cook elbow macaroni to al dente following directions on the package. Drain.
Combine beaten eggs, milk and heavy cream in a separate bowl and set aside.
Place one-half of the macaroni noodles on the bottom of the prepared
Top with half the butter, half the cubed cheese, and half the shredded cheese.
Gently pour in half of the milk and egg mixture and sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper.
Repeat the above layering the macaroni, butter, and cheeses for the top layer and add what's left of the milk and egg mixture. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
Place in preheated oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes until top is golden brown.
Remove from oven and let sit about 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into generous cubes or spoon out and serve.
This is a great recipe and is a crowd pleaser that's easy to double for leftovers the next day or another meal to share.
- Best cheeses and different types of cheese - Use your favorite cheese or blend of cheese for this particular recipe such as mild cheddar cheese, extra-sharp cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, Monterey jack, or pepper jack cheese to name a few.
- Make this a macaroni
pieby simply bakingit in a pretty pie plate rather than a casserole dish.
💭 Top Tip
This may be a bit jiggly and not fully set when you remove it from the oven. Don't get tempted to put it back in and risk overbaking it at this point. It will firm up as it cools down so allow it to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes. The wait will be worth it.
If you love this recipe please give it a 5 star rating. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card below ⬇️ you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe with Eggs
- Pyrex Baking Dish with Lid 13 x 9 inches with lid for storing leftovers
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease baking dish.
- Cook elbow macaroni to al dente following directions on package. Drain when cooked.
- Combine beaten eggs, milk, salt, and black pepper, and set aside.
- Place one-half of the macaroni on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with half the butter, half the cubed cheese and half the shredded cheese.
- Gently pour in half of the milk, half of the heavy cream, and the beaten eggs.
- Repeat the above layering the macaroni, butter, and cheeses and add what's left of the milk, cream, and beaten eggs.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit about 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into generous cubes or spoon out and serve.
What's your favorite childhood meal?