This is THE best oven-baked macaroni and cheese ever!
When I was growing up my mother usually had one day a week, every week, that was her time. She would go downtown Pittsburgh and shopped till she dropped. Literally.
She would leave right after lunch and take the last bus home from town at night. My dad would pick her up at the bus stop and bring her home, bags in hand.
I loved that day because often, she brought me home a little trinket, some jewelry, a piece of clothing, or something small that she knew I would like.
I also loved that day because that was the day Daddy cooked dinner.
My Dad was a great cook.
I especially loved it when he would make his homemade macaroni and cheese. I remember the cookbook it came from. Little snippets of memory. It was a camping cookbook that I wish I had. (After writing this I found it on Etsy!).
When I saw that cookbook out on the counter I knew that it was macaroni and cheese day!
This mac and cheese is now a favorite of my family and when I don’t make it for a while I hear about it.
I vary my recipe just slightly from my Dad’s and it will never be the same as his (at least to me) but I would love to share it with you.
Oven-Baked Macaroni and Cheese
4 cups cooked elbow macaroni – 8-ounce package
4 tablespoons butter cut up
2 cups cubed Colby jack or cheddar cheese
8-ounce package of shredded cheese -Colby jack or cheddar
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/4 Tsp. pepper
3 eggs beaten
3 1/2 cups whole milk
Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease
Cook elbow macaroni to al dente following directions on the package. Drain.
Combine beaten eggs and milk and set aside.
Place one-half of the macaroni on the bottom of the
Top with half the butter, half the cubed cheese, and half the shredded cheese.
Gently pour in half of the milk and egg mixture and sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper.
Repeat the above layering the macaroni, butter, and cheeses and add what’s left of the milk and egg mixture. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
Place in preheated oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
Remove from oven and let sit about 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into generous cubes or spoon out and serve.
I always double the recipe and bake enough for leftovers the next day, for another meal, or to share!
Now you know why I loved when my Daddy cooked dinner!
I loved it when my Mom cooked, too, and her Sweet and Sour Cabbage was one of my favorites!
The best mac and cheese ever! Forget the powdered version and switch to this delicious, oven-baked macaroni and cheese that you'll make over and over again!
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni – 8-ounce package
- 4 tablespoons butter cut up
- 2 cups cubed Colby jack or cheddar cheese
- 8-ounce package of shredded cheese -Colby jack or cheddar
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1/4 Tsp. pepper
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease baking dish.
- Cook elbow macaroni to al dente following directions on package. Drain when cooked.
- Combine beaten eggs, milk, salt, and pepper, and set aside.
- Place one-half of the macaroni on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with half the butter, half the cubed cheese and half the shredded cheese.
- Gently pour in half of the milk and egg mixture.
- Repeat the above layering the macaroni, butter, and cheeses and add what's left of the milk and egg mixture.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit about 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into generous cubes or spoon out and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 443Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 157mgSodium 665mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 23g
What’s your favorite childhood meal?